How can I have my road/right of way abandoned?

The first step to submitting a development of any kind is to call the Planning Department at (850) 267-1955 to schedule a pre-application meeting with staff. No applications will be accepted prior to a pre-application meeting. An abandonment is where a property owner requests the County to relinquish, or give up, their interest and rights for the public in a particular easement, alley, roadway, rights of way, or dedicated area. Most dedications are provided on plats and deeds recorded in the public records of the Clerk of Court for Walton County, Florida. When a property owner is encumbered by an easement or road that is not in use or maintained by the County Public Works Department, the owner "petitions" the County for relief by abandoning their right to use the area in the future. The Florida Statutes speak directly about the different kinds of abandonment, but in each case, the owner must petition the County for the relief. There must be public hearing to allow adjacent property owners to comment, the owner is required to notice their neighbors by mail and public sign, and the decision of the Commission is memorialized in a resolution recorded with the Clerk of Court. A meeting with County personnel is recommended before petition is made to the Department.

Show All Answers

1. Is my road county maintained?
2. My road is private, how do I get it county maintained?
3. How can I get my road paved?
4. How do I get my road graded?
5. When it rains, I can't get out of my driveway. What will the County do?
6. How do I report damaged roads (including potholes) or debris (rocks, mud, trees, dead animals) in roadways? Where do I report the need for maintenance on the county right of way, including obstruct
7. Will the County purchase and install a culvert at my driveway entrance?
8. Can I do work of any kind in the County maintained right of way? Can I do work in a public right of way that has not been improved?
9. How can I have my road/right of way abandoned?
10. What do I do if the regulatory signage on my road is missing?