Can I have an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)?

Yes.  In the interest of providing for inexpensive housing options for family members as well as for neighborhood protection, Walton County has established various Accessory Dwelling Unit requirements.  Section 2.02.00(B)(3) of the Land Development Code provides the general restrictions on accessory dwelling units.  Some Neighborhood Plan Areas also establish ADU requirements and restrictions, notably the Inlet Beach Neighborhood Plan.

To summarize the general Code requirements here, small accessory dwelling units less than 800 square feet in size, are allowed in all zoning districts that allow residential development.  They cannot be used as short term vacation rentals separate from the primary residence and they must not detract from the single-family residential character of a property.  This means essentially, that they need to be designed in way that is ancillary and compatible with the primary structure and that does not detract from then neighborhood.

Show All Answers

1. What Zoning District is My Property Located In?
2. Do I Need a Stormwater Plan for my Single-Family Residence?
3. How Can I Help Protect the Coastal Dune Lakes when Building a New Home or When Owning a Home or Property near a Coastal Dune Lake?
4. Can I Clear my Land/Lot?
5. What are my setbacks?
6. What is my Flood Zone?
7. I Want to Build a House in Walton County! Where do I Start? How Long will it Take to get a Permit?
8. Can I have an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)?
9. What About a Shed? General Information about Accessory Structures and Uses in Walton County.
10. What About a Fence? General Fence Information.
11. General Scenic Corridor Information
12. Can I live in my Recreational Vehicle (RV)?
13. Can I store my RV on my residential property?
14. Can I put a Mobile/Manufactured Home on my property?
15. Can I have a variance for that?
16. Can I Split my Lot?
17. Where can I find information on residential landscaping that protects our bays and lakes?