Can I Clear my Land/Lot?

If the lot or parcel is located south of the Choctawhatchee Bay, you will need a building permit or development order in place prior to any land clearing or alteration. Some exceptions to this exist for situations where a tree is dead, diseased or dying, or has potential to cause structural damage. Please give us a call if you have questions. Some minor clean up or maintenance is also allowed. REMEMBER ITS BETTER TO CHECK BEFOREHAND. There are many protected areas in South Walton including but not limited to: native vegetative communities; coastal dune lake protection zones; a 25-foot buffer from any wetland area; and the 50-foot area from the mean high water line of the Choctawhatchee Bay and any of its basins, bayous or tributaries. Some lots or developments also have areas that are to remain vegetated, natural or landscaped.  It is imperative that these areas remain protected and clearing within these areas is expressly prohibited and can result in fines and costly restoration.

If the lot or parcel is located north of the Choctawhatchee Bay a building permit or development order is not required however a land clearing permit is required. Visit our online Customer Portal to apply. This is a fairly simple application with a $25 application fee that will protect you and ensure that the area being cleared is not protected or within some sort of designated buffer area.

Show All Answers

1. What Zoning District is My Property Located In?
2. Do I Need a Stormwater Plan for my Single-Family Residence?
3. How Can I Help Protect the Coastal Dune Lakes when Building a New Home or When Owning a Home or Property near a Coastal Dune Lake?
4. Can I Clear my Land/Lot?
5. What are my setbacks?
6. What is my Flood Zone?
7. I Want to Build a House in Walton County! Where do I Start? How Long will it Take to get a Permit?
8. Can I have an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)?
9. What About a Shed? General Information about Accessory Structures and Uses in Walton County.
10. What About a Fence? General Fence Information.
11. General Scenic Corridor Information
12. Can I live in my Recreational Vehicle (RV)?
13. Can I store my RV on my residential property?
14. Can I put a Mobile/Manufactured Home on my property?
15. Can I have a variance for that?
16. Can I Split my Lot?
17. Where can I find information on residential landscaping that protects our bays and lakes?