Shortly after the Civil War, the women of Walton County organized a Ladies' Memorial Association to erect a marble monument honoring Walton County's Confederate dead. They were able to raise $250 for the monument.
The monument was first erected in 1871 at Valley Church. It was moved to Euchee Anna, the County seat, and then to DeFuniak Springs when it became the County seat.
Florida Historical Society, Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials