We recycle many materials, including:
- Plastics #1 & #2
- Aluminum cans
- Metal (All Types)
- Paper (Newspaper, magazines, telephone books, etc.)
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Tires (For a small fee)
- Used Oil
- Electronics (Computers, microwaves, radios, televisions, DVD/VCR players, etc.)
- White Goods - Appliances (Stoves, refrigerators, freezers, etc.)
Here are some ways the County makes it easy for you to participate in their recycling efforts:
Residential Drop-Off Center
All the above listed items can be brought to the Landfill for recycling during normal business hours, Mon – Fri 6:00 am – 4:30 pm and Sat 7:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- Cardboard Only Trailers – Only clean cardboard that has been broken down and flattened out.
- Regular Recycle Trailers – Only plastic bottles, aluminum drink cans, paper (newspaper, phone books) can be placed in any bin with available space. It is ok to mix if necessary.
- Recycle Trailers with Cardboard Bin – Plastic bottles, aluminum drink cans, paper (newspaper, phone books) can be placed in any bin with available space. It is ok to mix these items if necessary. Cardboard bins are also provided on these trailers for clean cardboard only that has been broken down and flattened out.
Upon arrival at the Landfill, the materials are hand sorted by an inmate work crew so mixing plastic with aluminum or paper when necessary is okay. It is also very important that no household garbage of any kind is placed in the recycle trailers. It contaminates the load rendering it non-recyclable and it must be thrown away.
Please do not put any other materials in the trailers as it takes up space that could be used for things that can be recycled.
Please do not place materials on the ground around the trailers. At each of the 20 locations the driver has to take the time to clean up the area which puts them farther behind schedule in getting the full trailers exchanged with empty ones.
Used Motor Oil Stations
There are four county owned sites where oil can be deposited for recycling.
- Woodyard Rd – 117 Montgomery Circle (adjacent to the fuel tanks)
- Walton County Landfill – 1118 Institution Rd, DeFuniak Springs (open M-F 6:00 am – 4:30 pm and Sat 7:00 am – 1:00 pm)
- Paxton Fire Station – 22120 US Hwy 331N, Paxton (open 24/7)
- District 5 Road Department – 142 Community Way, Santa Rosa Beach (open M-T 6:00 am – 4:30 pm)
The following auto parts stores will also accept used motor oil for recycling. The limit is 5 gallons each oil change for Walton County residents.
- O’Reilly Auto Parts – DeFuniak Springs
- AutoZone – DeFuniak Springs
- Advanced Auto Parts – DeFuniak Springs and Freeport